Reflecting on New Year’s Day and observing that everyone likes lists because making lists is an attempt to create a sense of order in our chaotic universe, author Max Lucado (In the Eye of the Storm) presents his number one list, the Laws of the Lighthouse:
1. They warn you of potential danger.
2. They signal a safe harbor.
3. They are stronger than the storm.
4. They shine brightest in the fog.
5. Approach life like a voyage on a schooner. Enjoy the view. Explore the vessel. Make friends with the captain (Jesus). Fish a little. And then get off when you get home (heaven).
Perhaps you’ve heart this story before. Two battleships are on maneuvers in heavy weather. The night is foggy. In the distance the captain of one of the battle ships notices a light. The captain and the light keep signaling back and forth, each telling the other to change course. Finally the captain pulls rank on the other signaler, a seaman second-class- “we’re a battleship and you need to change course.” The reply- “I’m a lighthouse!”
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”- Psalm 46:1