Bill Hybels concludes Chapter 7 of Simplify with a discussion of Jesus’ relational circles. Pastor Hybels states Jesus showed us how to maintain healthy friendship circles.
According to Luke 10:1, Jesus had a large circle of at least seventy-tw0 friends who were close enough to be called disciples. Jesus also hand-selected His “small” group of twelve disciples. Finally, Jesus needed the intimacy of an inner circle, so from the Twelve He chose Peter, James, and John. A second inner circle consisted of three siblings- Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. They were “kitchen table” friends with whom Jesus could relax.
Pastor Hybels suggests the following activities for deepening your inner circle:
- Take small steps- don’t dive in head first.
- Invest time- schedule time for deepening friendships.
- Create shared experiences- a meal, a hobby, volunteering.
- Wait for the volley- be sure you’re not doing all the initiating.
- Take off your mask (first)- share a small truth about yourself and see how the other person responds.
- In a crisis, show up- Pastor Hybels states: “Deep friendships are forged in the fire of pain.”
The author concludes: “When you simplify your friendships, you are well on your way to leading a richer, fuller, more joy-filled life. You are on a path toward a simplified life worth living.”
Today’s question: What are the qualities of your deepest friendships? Please share.
Coming Monday: the latest Short Meditation, “Yo Cliff!”
Tomorrow’s blog: “A vivid point of light”