Pastor Rick Warren begins Chapter 9 (“What Makes God Smile?”) of The Purpose Driven Life by stating that Noah’s life was a clear example of a life that makes God smile. From Noah’s life we can find 5 acts of worship that bring God pleasure (the author’s words are in bold type):
1. God smiles when we love him supremely. God made us to love Him, and longs for us to return His love. Matthew 22:37-38- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.”
2. God smiles when we trust him completely. Noah trusted God even when it didn’t make sense. Hebrews 11:7 (The Message)- “By faith, Noah built a ship in the middle of dry land. He was warned about something he couldn’t see, and acted on what he was told. . . . As a result, Noah became intimate with God.”
3. God smiles when we obey him wholeheartedly. Noah obeyed every instruction God gave him according to God’s timing, without reservation or hesitation. Obedience unlocks understanding, not the other way around.
4. God smiles when we praise and thank him continually. As we offer our thanks and praise to God, our hearts fill with joy.
5. God smiles when we use our abilities. God enjoys watching every detail of our lives, just as He did with Noah. Psalm 33:15 (The Message)- “He has shaped each person in turn; now he watches everything we do.”