Pastor Rick Warren devotes Chapter 7 (“The Reason for Everything”) of The Purpose Driven Life to describing God’s 5 purposes for our lives. As St. Iranaeus once said, “The glory of God is a human being fully alive.” The author’s words are in bold type.
1. We bring God glory by worshiping him. Rick states that worship is our first responsibility to God. Enjoying God is an act of worship. Worship is much more than our corporate experience on Sundays. When we live our lives to the glory of God, everything we do can become an act of worship.
2. We bring God glory by loving other believers. Jesus commanded us in John 13: 34-35 to love others as He has loved us. This command is sorely tested when someone has hurt us deeply. It’s compounded when that person is a Christian, who we presume should know better. What a witness we have when we can evidence God’s love in that situation!
3. We bring God glory by becoming like Christ. God wants to continue the process of changing our character throughout our earthly life. We need to guard against complacency when things are running smoothly and against resignation during adversity.
4. We bring God glory by serving others with our gifts. The gifts and calling we’ve received from the Lord are part of God’s unique purpose for our lives. Our ministry or career loss cannot invalidate them.
5. We bring God glory by telling others about him. Even our desert, transitional period can be a time of witnessing and sharing.