“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.”- 2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)
Alison Cook and Kimberly Miller continue Chapter 10 of Boundaries for Your Soul as they discuss the benefits, dangers, needs, and concerns associated with anxiety working within your soul:
- Benefits – when you respect anxiety as a valuable part of your soul, it can (1) signal the presence of a fearful exile that needs your attention; (2) help you act in a careful manner; and (3) transform into the part of you acting with courage, humbly leading others.
- Dangers – just like anger, anxiety expresses itself one way or another. Ironically, though, when anxiety becomes extreme, it may create the very dangers you go out of your way to avoid! Thus, without healthy boundaries, your anxiety surfaces in these troubling ways, including: physical limitations like shortness of breath, feelings of chaos or lack of control, hypervigilance, or catastrophizing.
- Needs – to stay within healthy boundary lines, your anxiety needs: to develop courage with God’s help as well as loving reminders from you of the truth of God’s power.
- Fears – as a protector, your anxious part shows concerns about your Spirit-led self taking the lead. These concerns include mishandling a responsibility, feeling neglected and alone, or disappointing someone.
Next, Alison and Kim look at the root fears behind three anxious soul parts: worrying and controlling, people-pleasing, and doubting. The authors talk about the first fear today.
1. Fear of the unknown: worry and control. When worry drives your life, it’s time to set some gentle boundaries with your worry and listen to your fear. Therefore, Alison and Kim advise, pay attention when a passive or controlling worried part eclipses your Spirit-led self. Instead, befriend your worry. Gently help it step back so you can get to the real source of your need.
Today’s question: How does the Holy Spirit bestow power, love, and self-discipline in your soul? Please share.
Tomorrow’s blog: “Living from your Spirit-led self”